Australia, Funds Management, Personal Finance - Written by Chris Wright on Thursday, January 1, 2009 13:50 - 0 Comments
Smart Investor: Up to speed – January 2009
Smart Investor magazine: Up To Speed, column, January 2009
Adelaide Cash Management Account
What is it?
It’s a new cash product.
Cash? What’s interesting about that?
This one comes on the back of the new government guarantee of all bank deposits, which covers holdings up to $1 million. It’s designed for existing customers of the Adelaide Cash Management Trust who want to transition to a guaranteed product, as CMTs don’t qualify for the government guarantee.
What does it do?
Like all cash accounts it’s designed to allow you to switch cash easily into other products – one reason these things are very popular with financial planners – and it allows for direct credits, BPay, cashcard access and cheque book, with interest calculated daily. In this case it also allows investors to leverage 100% of their cash deposit into a margin loan facility through Leveraged Equities (an Adelaide Bank subsidiary).
Is that wise?
If we’ve reached the bottom of the market, you couldn’t find a better time for a margin loan. If we haven’t, there’s a risk you’ll be hit for a margin call. However this product appears to allow you to have a government guaranteed cash balance as security on a margin loan.
What rate is it paying?
At the time of writing, 4%.
Pages: 1 2
Leave a Reply
Most Popular Content
- In Flight: the 30-hour novel
- The battle for the Libyan Investment Authority
- Discovery Channel Magazine: the 30-hour novel
- Discovery Channel Magazine: the Great Fire of London
- Discovery Channel Magazine: Fixing Food
- Editorial: Tax relief
The Jakarta Post | Editorial | Mon, December 31 2012, 1...
- The World Bank estimates that forcible “development-induced displacement and res...
- Your article on Microfinance in Eastern Europe is spot on. In fact the key point...
- I'm intrigued but also a little confused by what is going on in the ...
- Hi Chris - loved your smartinvestor article which actually defines investsors' s...
- Could I have this whole poem written by Thomas Ebzery - I am moved by it because...
- I know it is personal but is it possible to obtain a copy of the poem Thomas Ebz...
- I felt very, very sad after reading this beautiful articles. My late dad was sn...
Featured Work, Libya, Sovereign Wealth Funds - Apr 1, 2013 23:23 - 0 Comments
More In Featured Work
- The science of cheating
- Qatar: What has it done with stability?
- Giant steps are what you take
- Euromoney: the shadowy world of Gulf sovereign wealth funds
- Playing with fire: a history of the guitar
Africa general, Big Interviews, Science and engineering - Dec 1, 2012 6:12 - 0 Comments
More In Big Interviews
- Emerging Markets: Zeti interview
- Ed Mitchell: the most famous believer
- Yeager in his own (harsh) words
- Reach for the sky
- So you want to be an astronaut?
Big Interviews, Economics, Featured Work, Foreign Exchange, From the Vault, Malaysia, Politics - Oct 1, 2007 9:52 - 0 Comments
More In From the Vault
- Green finance: cleaning up in China – Euromoney, September 2007
- China’s rainmakers – Euromoney, April 2007
- Shaukat Aziz, Pakistan prime minister: Institutional Investor, December 2006
- The Shariah scholar cartel: Asiamoney, September 2006
- Ethical funds melt down over uranium – AFR, March 2005